Sunday, October 4, 2015

Limes! At last!

This post should have been written in June, but I got sidetracked by my mother's failing health and subsequent death. But it was due to her that I had such success with my lime tree for the very first time.  Seriously, I'd despaired of ever getting limes from my tree, but when we cleared out her house and shed, I came across a bag of citrus food, which I promptly claimed ahead of my siblings, and spread generously around my lemon, lime and mandarin trees.
The result?

Aren't they gorgeous?  I ended up making the most delicious lime chutney, which is amazing with cheese and a good cracker.

Recipe :
LIME CHUTNEY 
10 ripe yellowed limes            2 tbspns cooking salt         200g raisins 
50g sultanas                3 tbspns peanut oil           2 tspns ground cumin 
 teas ground coriander              teas black mustard seeds 
½ teas chilli powder           ½ teas ground black pepper 
5 finely chopped garlic cloves            ¼ cup malt vinegar 
5cm piece finely chopped ginger             1kg soft brown sugar 

Cut limes into 8 pieces each.  Place In large glass bowl, sprinkle with the salt 
and stir well, cover and leave for 48 hours in cool dark place, stirring 
occasionally. 

Drain, rinse well and mix with raisins and sultanas.  Process in batches in 
food processor until coarsely chopped. 

Heat oil in large heavy based pan, add cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, chili 
powder, black pepper, garlic and ginger.  (Don’t overcook ginger or it will 
become bitter.) 

Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until very aromatic. 
Add the lime mixture, vinegar and brown sugar.  Bring to the boil, stirring until 
the sugar dissolves. 

Reduce the heat and simmer for ½ hours, stirring occasionally.  Pour into 
warm sterilized jars and seal. 
Makes about 8-9 small jars.